As a new parent it is hard to know what to do during those newborn awake windows, that is why I decided to put together this list of ideas. While it may seem like there isn’t a lot to do with them, there really is a lot you can do to help them develop skills, muscle tone, and their brains! Here are some suggestions on what you can do during those awake windows.
Newborn Awake Window Ideas:
- Tummy time – Tummy time is really important for babies. This allows them the opportunity to be on the floor, kick their legs, and develop their neck, arm and leg muscles needed for crawling. Your baby may hate tummy time but it’s important to do everyday for at least 1-2 minutes in the newborn stage
- Read books – Read books to baby and show them the pictures. Reading is a great way to develop your babies mind and get a kick start on language development.
- House Tour – While holding baby walk around your house and give them a tour of each room and talk about some items in the room or the color
- Go for a Walk – Get outside and get some sun! It will help you momma to get some vitamin D and it will help baby to begin to learn day vs. night. While on your walk, talk to baby, discuss the weather, your day and the sounds you hear!
- Talk to Baby – This one is important, just talk to your baby. I find myself talking to my newborn while doing diaper changes, walking around the house, while he is laying on the floor, or just any opportunity to speak to them. This helps baby find comfort, learn your voice, and develop language.
Most importantly enjoy the newborn awake windows, they are brief but an opportunity to learn so much about your new baby. The newborn phase is hard but goes by quickly; enjoy the little moments while you can!