Babies require a lot of sleep in order to grow and develop properly, but getting them to sleep can sometimes be a challenge for parents. Fortunately, there are a number of sleep habits that can help promote better sleep for babies. Now I am not a sleep expert but these are just a few of the tips that we did with our babies that really helped get them to sleep through the night. Here are the top 10 best baby sleep tips:
- Establish a bedtime routine: Creating a bedtime routine can help signal to your baby that it’s time to wind down and prepare for sleep. A routine could include a warm bath, a lullaby, or a bedtime story.
- Place your baby in the crib while they’re drowsy: This helps them learn how to fall asleep on their own, which will make it easier for them to get back to sleep if they wake up in the middle of the night.
- Keep the room quiet and dark: A dark and quiet sleeping environment can help your baby fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly. Consider using blackout curtains or a white noise machine if necessary.
- Avoid overstimulation before bedtime: Loud noises, bright lights, and active play can make it difficult for your baby to calm down and fall asleep. Avoid these activities for at least an hour before bedtime.
- Keep the room at a comfortable temperature: A room that is too hot or too cold can make it difficult for your baby to sleep. Aim for a room temperature of around 68-72°F.
- Use a firm and flat sleep surface: Putting your baby to sleep on a firm and flat surface, such as a crib or bassinet, can reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Keep your baby close: Consider using a bassinet or placing your baby’s crib in your room for the first six months of life. This can help you respond quickly if your baby needs you in the middle of the night.
- Breastfeed or provide a bottle: Offer your baby a full feeding before bedtime to help them feel full and satisfied.
- Good Swaddle/Sleep Sack: Use a good swaddle (until baby shows signs of rolling over) and sleep sack. We used the Dreamland Baby Co. sleep sack for our second son and I swear by it! The best weighted sleep sack on the market.
- Be patient: It can take time for your baby to develop good sleep habits, so be patient and try not to get discouraged if your baby doesn’t sleep through the night right away.
By incorporating these sleep baby sleep tips and habits into your routine, you can help them get the restful sleep they need to grow and develop. Remember to always put safety first and consult with your pediatrician if you have any concerns about your baby’s sleep.